|Staples Declares July 14 as the Official Start of the 2010 Back-to-School Shopping Season|
FRAMINGHAM, Mass., Jul 06, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) --
Staples, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLS), the world's largest office products company and top retail destination for back to school, today announced July 14 as the official start to the 2010 back-to-school shopping season. For the third year, Staples will kick-off the season and provide shoppers with a stress-free, one-stop-shop to find the best deals on this season's hottest products and technology. To commemorate the day, the company will open the NASDAQ market on July 14 and sound the "First Bell" of the school supply shopping season.
"Staples is committed to providing customers with great savings on the best selection of back-to-school products," said Demos Parneros, president of U.S. Retail, Staples, Inc. "We're making it easy for parents and students to know they can now find great deals on everything, whether it's core supplies, tech products and services, or fashionable and fun accessories as they prepare for the start of school."
Staples' top product list for back to school provides customers a sneak peek at the new styles and trends for the season on everything from backpacks to tech tools to fun supplies for the classroom. The top products for back to school are:
1) Love Your Laptop- Staples makes it easy for students to stay ahead of the tech world with great deals on the latest laptops like the powerful, affordable HP DV6 notebook ($699.98). A spacious hard drive allows students to save everything from papers to photos to videos. Bluetooth technology allows students to stay in touch when they're on the go. Students and parents can feel secure in their purchase knowing Staples EasyTech can keep technology up and running. For example, students looking to upgrade their laptop can take advantage of Staples' trade-in option by bringing in their old one to receive a $50 credit to be applied to the purchase of a new laptop. Or if they're happy with their current computer, they can bring it in to Staples for a free PC tune-up.
2) Tote Your Tech- Whether it's a backpack, tote or even a laptop sleeve, students can find a wide assortment of bags to carry their books and tech tools at Staples this back-to-school season. The new Microsoft Contender Backpack ($99.99) has one compartment for a laptop, another for large books, and others for additional accessories and supplies. Prefer an over-the-shoulder bag? The stylish High Sierra Beatrice Tote Bag ($59.99), available in black and a floral design, fits a notebook computer, and features an open cell phone pocket and an abundance of storage for all belongings. No matter which bag students choose, keeping laptops safe is extremely important. Try the hip and stylish Built NY Laptop Sleeve ($34.99). Fits up to 17-inch laptop or notebook and comes in several cool patterns.
3) Supplies for a Cause - Teens can be encouraged to convert their energy and ideas into positive action with the new DoSomething.org-inspired products ($0.99-$11.99), exclusive to Staples. These products help students stay organized while learning about important issues impacting their communities. The collection includes planners, notebooks, comp books, pocket portfolios and 3-ring pencil pouches featuring cool designs, background on social issues and tips on how students can make a difference.
4) Go Glam- Add some 'bling' to the classroom with the new Glam Rocks Collection. Sparkle in style with the hand-crafted Glam Rocks Staplers ($4.99) and Glam Rocks Pens ($4.99). Designs available in purple floral, pink color fade, royal blue and crystal clear. Students can also do some sparkling number-crunching with the Glam Rocks Calculators ($4.99).
5) Flash Forward- Exclusive to Staples, get a little flashy with the Omnitech 2GB Swivel Flash Drive ($12.99), designed to keep the cap in place. Available in new black and white, multi-colored dots and peace-sign patterns.
6) Cool Calcs- Math has never been more fun with these calculators, exclusive to Staples. Students can "flex" their math muscles - literally- with the new Staples Flexible Calculator ($3.99). It's uniquely bendable with translucent and tie-dyed designs. With the new Staples Soccer Buddy Calculator ($3.99) and its functional mini-soccer ball, achieving math "goals" will be easy.
7) Listen Up- Exclusive to Staples, listen to favorite tunes in between classes or on campus with the Omnitech 2GB Clip-On MP3 ($29.99).This clip-on MP3 player makes hands-free listening easy. Available in black, red and blue. Also exclusive to Staples, the Omnitech Portable Speaker ($9.99) is a mini pod that packs a punch providing unbelievable sound quality even in loud hallways. Compatible with iPods, Sony PSPs, MP3 players and more.
8) Organize in Style- Students can let their personality show with Staples Brand fashion products ($1.99-$5.49), including binders, portfolios, notebooks and comp books, fashion dividers and more. Available in an assortment of stylish colors and designs from funky geometric prints to free-spirited paisley creations. The Staples BETTER binder(TM) is built for long-lasting durability and to withstand heavy-duty daily use, available in an assortment of vibrant back-to-school colors ($6.99-$14.79).
9) It's Easy and Fun Going Green- The Westcott KleenEarth(R) product assortment ($1.29-$13.99)includes scissors, rulers, erasers, pencil sharpeners, and more. Several of these eco-conscious products include environmental features such as handles made from recycled content. The collection comes in a variety of colors and styles with Microban(R) antibacterial protection.
10) Zip-it...literally- How do you make a pencil case out of a really long zipper? Just pull it and watch it zip into shape! The brainchild of an Israeli student whose class project called for turning an everyday item into something new, the Zip It-Unzip Your Mind pencil pouch ($5.99) is perfect for teen trendsetters. Available in stylish colors including black, purple and pink with exclusive rainbow-zipper design for Staples.
11) What's in your Locker? Create a stylish and organized locker space with LockerMate(R) Magnetic locker accessories. No more digging for folders in the dark, the LockerMate Magnetic LED Locker Light ($5.29)includes three different illuminating modes to help students find the assignments and supplies they need. Also, avoid spilling drinks on important papers with the LockerMate Magnetic Bottle Holder ($5.29). This product, available in assorted colors, fits a range of bottle sizes and hangs easily on the included magnet or locker hook. Be ultra-organized with the LockerMate(R) Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener with Storage ($13.29). Available in bright colors, students can sharpen their pencils and store supplies with this cool contraption that fits magnetically anywhere in the locker.
Visit http://www.staples.com/btspr for more news and images throughout the season.
Staples, the world's largest office products company, is committed to making it easy for customers to buy a wide range of office products and services. Our broad selection of office supplies, electronics, technology and office furniture as well as business services, including computer repair and copying and printing, helps our customers run their offices efficiently. With 2009 sales of $24 billion and 91,000 associates worldwide, Staples operates in 25 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia and Australia serving businesses of all sizes and consumers. Staples invented the office superstore concept in 1986 and today ranks second worldwide in e-commerce sales. The company is headquartered outside Boston. More information about Staples (Nasdaq: SPLS) is available at www.staples.com/media.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6349350&lang=en
SOURCE: Staples, Inc.