|Staples Announces the Top 10 Products for Back to School|
Staples Back-to-School Survey Shows Value and Assortment as Top Priorities for Moms Shopping for Supplies This Year
FRAMINGHAM, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--July 9, 2008--Staples, Inc. (NASDAQ: SPLS), the world's largest office products company and top retail destination for back to school, is making it easy for students and parents this season by providing a one-stop shop and a wide assortment of products at great prices. The Staples top 10 products for back-to-school showcase the hottest new items for 2008 while once again demonstrating every item serves an important purpose, whether protecting a laptop from damage, storing clips in one easy and stylish container, taking quick notes in class on a portable whiteboard or thinking "green" when using notebooks.
According to Staples Annual Back-to-School Survey, current economic factors, including rising gas prices, will influence more than 79 percent of surveyed moms to shop at only one store for back-to-school supplies. (see related release, "Staples Declares July 8 as the Official Start of the 2008 Back-to-School Shopping Season," July 8, 2008)
"Back-to-school shopping this year is about offering consumers great prices and the most convenient, all-inclusive means to stock up on all of the necessary tools and supplies their children need to start the school year off right," said Jevin Eagle, executive vice president of merchandising of Staples, Inc. "With more than 75 percent of shoppers today worried about stores running out of product, we believe that it's more important than ever to offer value and assortment for our customers."
Staples has added a vast selection of school supplies to its product list and is offering great deals throughout the season, including 1 cent, 10 cent, and 25 cent items. With fun, function and fashion-forward items for every students style, the top picks for Staples 2008 back-to-school season offer students and parents more options to organize and prepare for school, including:
1) Stuff It Stylishly - Whether driving to school or walking to, BUILT(R) Laptop Sleeves ($15", $29.99; 17", $34.99) offer maximum protection and peace of mind. The sleeves' 5mm extra-thick neoprene cushions and protects laptops while safely sliding in and out of a backpack or a messenger case with ease. Their unique hourglass design secures laptops in place, and the Shark Gill Grips on the side make handling easy and slip-free. The product, which is machine washable, also features fleece lining interior and water-resistant exterior.
2) Sit Smart - Add color and personality at a great value to any desk with the Staples Student Task Chair. Features seat height adjustment and dual wheel casters. Available in flower print, black, blue or pink at an unbelievable price ($19.99).
3) Shape Up - Making the most of desk space while adding a touch of style and personality, students can get all of their clipping essentials - binder clips, paper clips and push pins - in one fun container with new Staples Assorted Clips and Pins ($5.99). Available in a variety of never-before-seen designs including hearts, flowers, circles, rainbows, animal shapes or a soccer ball. For even more choices, check out our new Staples Mix It Up assortment of paper clips, binder clips and push pins in new unique colors, designs, and shapes. With Staples Mix It Up, students can fill-to-the-brim an entire container - small ($5.99) or large ($9.99) - with their tailored choice of 16 assorted clips and push pins for one fixed price.
4) Carry Yourself Well - Ideal for students in the classroom or on the playing field, Dickies(C) Backpacks and Accessories ($3.99-$39.99) are offered in a variety of new and bold designs such as "black or white doodle," "magenta mod dot," "multi-star," and "pink heart argyle" on backpacks, messenger bags, totes and cosmo cases that fit every personality.
5) Get Decked Out - Love. Laugh. Believe. Dream. This year, students can dress up their locker with inspirational messages or create their own experience with the new Magna Card(R) Locker Accessories Kit ($9.99). The kit includes locker wallpaper, magnetic frame, mirror, two word expressions, two metallic magnets, two jewel magnets and two magnetic dry-erase shapes.
6) Re-Invent Yourself - For the student who needs to take quick notes or solve a problem during class, just write, erase and repeat with the innovative Staples Problem Pad ($3.99), invented by 11-year-old Keagan Bolibol as part of Staples Invention Quest Kids(R) contest. An easy, portable 3-ring binder insert that is perfect for math, spelling and quick notes. The whiteboard includes a black dry-erase marker with built-in eraser and is the perfect accessory for the Staples better binder(TM) ($6.99-$9.99).
7) Be Studio-ous! - New to stores this July, the Dell Studio(TM) Notebook makes tackling projects easier while offering powerful storage features designed to store schoolwork and assignments. A sleek, 15.4" screen, 3 GB memory, 250GM hard drive, and web cam are included at a competitive price ($799.98). Available in fun colors: red, orange, pink, purple, blue and black.
8) Get Flashy - Flash drives moved from "optional" to "required" tools on school lists this year. The Omnitech 1GB USB Flash Drive is a must-have at an unbelievable price of $9.99. Students can store and transfer writing assignments, pictures and more, making it easy to work in the school library or finish homework on the class computer. Exclusive to Staples, with a soft, rubberized surface, and available in black, magenta and blue.
9) Have it All - Taking the dimensions of a dorm room into consideration, students are always looking for space-saving items that combine the best of several products into one package. The HP Photosmart C4480 All-in-One ($99.99) copies and prints up to 30 pages per minute in black and white, 23 pages per minute in color, and also serves as a scanner and photo printer. The size and functionality are proof good things come in small packages.
10) Keep it Together - Get an "A" for organization and style with Staples Fashion Notebooks ($2.99), available in assorted designs. To be "green" this back-to-school season, students can make the easy choice with the Staples Eco-Friendly Notebooks, Composition Books and Filler Paper that are made from 80 percent Bagasse - sugarcane fiber remaining after extraction of juice from the sugarcane. Talk about tree- and wallet-friendly ($0.99-$2.99).
Visit www.staples.com/btspr for even more news and photos.
Staples, Inc. invented the office superstore concept in 1986 and today is the world's largest office products company. With 76,000 talented associates, the company is committed to making it easy to buy a wide range of office products, including supplies, technology, furniture, and business services. With 2007 sales of $19.4 billion, Staples serves consumers and businesses ranging from home-based businesses to Fortune 500 companies in 22 countries throughout North and South America, Europe and Asia. Headquartered outside of Boston, Staples operates more than 2,000 office superstores and also serves its customers through mail order catalog, e-commerce and contract businesses. More information is available at www.staples.com.
MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=5725338
CONTACT: Tilson Communications